A pandemic can take the sizzle out of your relationship. Whether you’re at home under the same roof (has your partner always eaten cereal that way?) or dating from a distance (“u up? cool just checking”), we urge you not to forget about date night.
Try these 25 date ideas and let us know your favorites!
1. Play a board game. If you’re apart, play a game online.
2. Try a deck in the Gottman Card Decks App.
3. Learn a new language together.
4. Do a project together like making pottery or knitting a scarf.
5. Watch each other’s favorite movie. If you’re apart, try hosting a Netflix Party.
6. Get crafty! Make a scrapbook of all your favorite memories together.
7. Host Happy Hour with craft cocktails or mocktails. If you’re apart, cheers over FaceTime or Zoom.
8. Have sex.
9. Bake or cook a new meal together. If you’re apart, try making the same meal and share your taste test over FaceTime or Zoom.
10. Create line drawings of each other—don’t look at the paper or lift the pen.
11. Dance to your favorite music. If you’re apart, make each other a virtual “mixtape” to listen to.
12. Choose a song and rewrite the lyrics to it. Perform it for each other if you’re feeling brave.
13. Play strip poker.
14. Teach each other about your passions and hobbies.
15. Write each other love letters.
16. Watch an insightful documentary and learn something new.
18. Go for a romantic walk.
19. Have a cook-off “Chopped” style with the same ingredients.
20. Put on a fashion show. Don’t forget the runway music. If you’re apart, play the role of fashion photographer and send each other photos of your stylish looks.
21. Build a cozy fort.
22. Give each other massages.
23. Play Pictionary or charades.
24. Go to the “spa.” Light some candles, put on facials, play relaxing music.
25. Strengthen your relationship by starting our research-based programs for couples.
Sign up for the Love Notes NewsletterGet the latest on relationships, parenting, therapy and more from the experts at The Gottman Institute
The NEW Gottman Relationship Adviser takes the guesswork out of improving your relationship. Measure your relationship health with a research-based self-assessment, then receive a tailored digital plan proven to heal and strengthen your connection.