This is it — the culmination of your training, mastery of the Gottman Method, and recognition as an expert in your field.
Becoming a Certified Gottman Therapist is the final step in your journey toward becoming a career couples therapist. You will master how to help couples create greater meaning and connection in their relationships, and you will expand and reinforce your understanding of Gottman Method Couples Therapy, building off of everything you’ve learned through your training and clinical work to date.
When you start the Certification Track, you will be matched with a Senior Certified Gottman Therapist who will coach you through the certification process and help you implement Gottman Method Couples Therapy successfully in your practice. After completing the certification process, you will:
- Earn the distinct title of Certified Gottman Therapist
- Be eligible to work as a roving therapist at The Art and Science of Love workshop, enabling you to help couples as they work through conflict management exercises
- Receive a discounted listing on the Gottman Referral Network, which provides credibility to your practice, helps to channel new clients your way, and allows you to promote and market yourself as certified by The Gottman Institute
- Be eligible to attend sponsored events and local gatherings to participate in the larger Certified Gottman Therapist community
- Gain access to a private Facebook group where you can connect with your colleagues
- Be eligible to lead your own events with additional training, including:
- Level 1 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Level 2 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Level 3 Trainings in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- The Art and Science of Love workshops for couples
We strongly encourage you to enter the Certification Track immediately after completing the Level 3 Training and begin working with your assigned consultant. You will have a maximum of two years to enter the Certification Track following your Level 3 Training. After you enroll, you have a maximum of two years to submit videos for final review and to become certified. Please refer to our policies, terms and conditions for further information.
While you may submit your application anytime, applications are processed quarterly on the following dates:
- February 1
- May 1
- August 1
- November 1
We are now hosting free Q&A sessions before each deadline. The next one is scheduled for March 29, 2023. Register here to attend live. Email [email protected] to submit questions before the event.
Prerequisites for the Certification Track
Download our handy Certification Track Application Checklist to track your progress.
- Completion of Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 Training (You will have a maximum of two years to enter the Certification Track following your Level 3 Training)
- Completion of Treating Affairs and Trauma and Couples and Addiction Recovery
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in a mental health field
- A minimum of 1000 hours of postgraduate therapy experience
- Licensure or certification in a mental health related field*
- Malpractice Insurance ($1M per incident and $3M aggregate)
*Individual must be able to provide therapy independent of a supervisor.
You will be assigned a consultant when you enter the Certification Track. Your consultant will guide you in applying Gottman Method Couples Therapy with couples in your practice, usually through sessions over the phone or web-conferencing. We highly encourage you to look through our list of consultants below, and reach out to them in advance to determine if they would be a good match.
There will be ample opportunity to ask questions and receive input about all phases of working with couples, from assessment and treatment planning through selecting and implementing appropriate interventions for each client’s unique needs. Please note that there are no continuing education hours available for consultation. In order to complete certification requirements, you must:
- Complete a minimum of 8 hours of individual consultation (45 minutes) OR 12 hours of group consultation (50 – 90 minutes)
- Have all four (4) of your video segments reviewed by your consultant
- Pay the consultation fees (payable to your consultant)
Note: The consultant may determine that more consultation is necessary to meet the requirements.
- Administrative Fee: One-time fee of $1,225 (payable to The Gottman Institute) when you enter the Certification Track
- Consultation Fees: These will vary depending on the number of sessions you require and the modality (individual or group). See your consultant for prices.
Once you’ve completed your consultation sessions and you and your consultant have agreed on your readiness, you must submit (4) videotaped segments of your work to qualify for certification. You’ll have a maximum of three (3) submissions to pass the final video review. A description of final video review requirements is included in the Level 2 Manual. Download the documents here:
For more details regarding the Certification Track, please read through the Consultation Policies, Terms, and Conditions.
Please click here to be taken to the Certification Track application.
All application materials must be submitted on or before the application deadline date.
Please see the Gottman Help Center for questions or to submit a request for assistance.