The Seven Principles Leader Training, based on The New York Times bestseller The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, was developed from Dr. Gottman’s four decades of research with more than 3,000 couples. Over the years, Drs. John and Julie Gottman have continued to fine-tune their innovative method of disrupting negative behaviors that send relationships onto the rocks.
Showing partners how to work with the small daily moments that make up the heart and soul of any relationship, the Seven Principles Leader Training will train you how to teach couples proven, practical, and effective strategies for making marriage work.
This training provides the tools and know-how to take small groups of couples through Dr. Gottman’s revised, groundbreaking book The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work.
Whether at your church, community center, place of business, or home, the material you will learn in this training can be taught by anyone interested in making a difference in couples’ lives.
What will I learn in the Seven Principles Leader Training?
This training will prepare you to teach couples via in person or virtual formats on how to use Gottman Seven Principles Program materials. You will learn how to lead couples through The Seven Principles book, with a combination of lecture, multi-media presentations, interactive exercises, role-plays, and discussions. You will also learn how to teach couples lecture content by integrating research from The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, and how to educate couples through relationship enhancing exercises.
Who is this training for?
If you plan to co-presenting workshops, bring your co-presenter and get trained together. Whether you have years of experience as a clinically trained therapist or are a layperson, this training will give you tools to facilitate a Gottman Seven Principles Program for couples in your community. This training is for:
- Life coaches
- Community leaders
- Social workers
What is included in the price?
- Access to a virtual Seven Principles Leader Training in a live webinar format
- One (1) digital copy of the Gottman Seven Principles Leader Manual
- One (1) digital copy of the Gottman Seven Principles Couples Guide
- One (1) set of the digital Love Maps and Open Ended Questions card decks
- Marketing and other resource material to create your own Couples Workshop
Upon completion of the training, attendees receive an official Gottman Seven Principles Leader certificate and seal. Registration includes all digital materials: Seven Principles Couples Set, Card Decks and a Seven Principles Leader Guide, which contains the core items facilitators need to present a productive and engaging workshop. The Couples Set also serves as course material for the Seven Principles couples workshops, which leaders can bulk order to use in a class or group setting. Your couples can follow along closely as you teach the Seven Principles curriculum. The digital set includes:
- One (1) digital Gottman Seven Principles Program Leader Guide*
- One (1) digital Gottman Seven Principles Program Couples Guides
- One (1) set of digital Love Map & Open-Ended Card Decks
*Completion of the Seven Principles Leader Training is required to receive the Leader Guide.
As a result of this training, you will be able to:
- Know how to plan, budget, market, and organize your own Gottman Seven Principles Program for couples
- Gain practical strategies for presenting the Gottman Seven Principles Program, in both in-person and virtual formats, in your community
- Learn how to present the lectures and content to your students
- Know how to support and encourage the class
- Develop skills to handle difficult situations and make referrals
- Understand how to use box and digital couples set materials to enrich the workshop experience
- Be able to market yourself as a “Gottman Seven Principles Leader”
Frequently Asked Questions
While both workshops are based on the Gottman Method, there are some key differences. The Art and Science of Love
- Workshops led by Certified Leaders who are Certified Gottman Therapist (CGT)
- CGT roving therapist support
- Couples formally screened for co-morbidities
- Requires participant manuals
- No PowerPoint available
- Does not offer different approaches Solvable vs. Perpetual Problems
- Participant anonymity
- Typically offered on a weekend
- Flexible, modular approach
- Sound Relationship House Model included
Seven Principles Program
- Workshops led by lay people
- No therapist support
- No formal screening, relies on self-screening from publicized criteria
- Seven principles book and workbook used
- Includes PowerPoint
- Emphasizes differences between Solvable and Perpetual Problems with different skills
- Encourages participant community-building
- Sound Relationship House not directly stated
Please read The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work book prior to attending the training. You will want working knowledge of the exercises and research in order to learn how to lead a class in your community.
No, this training is intended for leaders who want to teach a class to couples. Many leaders choose to attend the training with their business partner so that they can teach the Seven Principles class as co-leaders.
Due to the COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus) outbreak, we are relaxing our standard cancellation and transfer policy (below). Cancellations and transfers from workshops affected by social distancing or large event bans can be made at any time, and for no cost.
All registrations are final. If you are unable to attend this event, you may transfer your funds to a future training for an additional $50 administrative fee. To obtain a transfer, please notify us at least 21 days before the event. Within 21 days of the workshop, no transfers will be issued. Transfers will expire one year from the date of the notification, and cannot be transferred to another attendee.
Yes! We’d love to sign you up for 10% off with a group of 3 or more. Please contact us at Training@Gottman.com.
You can purchase or download the 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman and Nan Silver
This is the first time we are offering this course online. We plan to offer it at alternative times to account for time zone differences. We do not have plans to make the recording available outside of the course registration and full participation.