Presented by Joni Parthemer, M.Ed. and Beth Goss
October 5-6, 2018
Up to 16 CE hours
Even the strongest relationships are strained during the transition to parenthood. Lack of sleep, never-ending housework and new fiscal concerns can lead to profound stress and a decline in marital satisfaction – all of which affect baby’s care. Not surprisingly, 67% of new parents experience conflict, disappointment and hurt feelings.
Our research-based Bringing Baby Home workshops prepare couples for life with baby and helps them be the best parenting team possible. In a relaxed and supportive environment, parents learn to strengthen their relationship and foster baby’s development during this challenging time. They build on what Dr. Gottman and colleagues found is the best predictor of marital adjustment after baby arrives: the quality of friendship in the marriage.
Learn how to teach pregnant and parenting couples the skills needed to encourage healthy, supportive family relationships.
THE TRAINING PROGRAM
This newly designed, research-based 2-day training equips participants to independently teach pregnant and parenting couples to successfully prepare for the transition to parenthood.
The BBH Training is a high quality program that combines lecture, multi-media presentations, interactive exercises, and discussion. Dedicated trainers facilitate two days of research-based training, teaching participants how to use the materials, content, tools and exercises. You will be equipped to teach the BBH workshop to parents immediately following the training.
The Bringing Baby Home Master Trainers will teach you the value and importance of the Bringing Baby Home Program, how to move through time together, the art of building love maps, importance of sharing fondness and admiration, the concept of turning towards and building an emotional bank account, maintaining the positive perspective, ritualizing the daily stress-reducing conversation, and the topic of flooding, self-soothing and taking breaks.
The Bringing Baby Home Master Trainers will teach you how to recognize the four warning signs of relationship meltdown, practice the four steps of constructive problem solving, recognize the importance of fathers, understand baby blues, postpartum mood disorders and other mental health issues, how to connect with your children, preserve intimacy and romance in your relationship, and create shared meaning, values and rituals of connection. To see a detailed workshop outline, click here.
Participants working in the following fields will benefit from this training:
This Gottman Educator Training is designed for professionals who work with expectant parents and families with young children. The following professionals have taken the Bringing Baby Home training program and became Gottman Educators:
- Childbirth educators and parent coaches
- Social workers
- Child and Family Therapists
- Birth and postpartum doulas
As a result of this training, you will learn how to teach couples to:
- Strengthen their relationship
- Effectively manage stress and conflict
- Recognize and respond to postpartum mood anxiety and adjustment issues and postpartum depression
- Meet the emotional and psychological needs of a child
- Keep both parents involved in parenting
As a result of this training, you will be able to:
- Present and facilitate couples’ small groups and classes at your church, hospital, community center, place of business, and/or home
- Teach pregnant and parenting couples the skills needed to encourage healthy, supportive family relationships while decreasing postpartum depression, relationship conflict, and hostility
- Independently teach and facilitate the 12 hour Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop
- Independently teach and facilitate multiple authorized Sections of the Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop
- Use the Gottman BBH Educator title and distinction
As a result of this training, you will receive:
- One Training Manual: Gottman Educator Training Manual, 300 pages. Developed and written by Drs. John and Julie Gottman and Master BBH Trainers, it includes all the teaching tools, exercises and research for successfully teaching the Bringing Baby Home Workshop.
- One Couple’s Workbook: Bringing Baby Home Couple’s Workbook, 250 pages. Includes insightful research, key parenting tips, guides and information, resources and interactive exercises. This is the workbook that couples receive when taking the BBH Workshop from Educators.
- Six Card Decks: These fun, interactive cards are used in the Bringing Baby Home Workshop with parents as interactive exercises. Titles include: Love Map Cards, Love Map Cards For Couples with Kids, Open-Ended Questions Cards, Father’s Cards, Expressing Needs Cards, Softened Start-up Cards.
- PowerPoint for Educators: Newly revised and updated, this PowerPoint includes the official revised presentation of the BBH workshop in its entirety. Contains over 150 slides to help you successfully organize and present all BBH topics in your own workshop. Slides are organized by chapter and include new graphics, research charts and more. Each slide includes a ‘notebox’ (seen by presenter only) for adding personalized presentation notes.
- BBH Videos: Narrated by Dr. John Gottman, the What’s Baby Saying? and Let’s Play with Baby videos are essential resources featuring authentic lab footage that focus on infant communication. Valuable films to show couples in your BBH classes!
- Organizational Resources: including marketing templates, budgeting outlines and other tools for the administrative organization of your couples’ classes.
The cost of this two-day training is $525 per person, which includes live training registration, Gottman Bringing Baby Home Educator Materials, and Gottman BBH Educator Certificate and Badge.
Save $160 when you register for both the Gottman Seven Principles Program and the Bringing Baby Home Educator Trainings! The discount is automatically reflected when you put both workshops in your cart.
Before attending the training it is required that you watch a 15 minute Introductory Video that provides background on the research and development of the Bringing Baby Home Program. This video will be sent via email prior to the training.
We also recommend that you read And Baby Makes Three. Based on John Gottman’s research with new parents, this book shows couples how to avoid the pitfalls of parenthood, with exercises that will separate the “master” from the “disaster” couples and help new parents positively manage the strain that comes along with their bundle of joy.
The Bringing Baby Home Educator Training is presented by Bringing Baby Home Master Trainers around the world. Click here to meet them.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING INFO
Training Schedule and Location info:
The Gottman Institute hosts Bringing Baby Home Educator Trainings around the world, often in partnership with other professional organizations. Can’t attend in Seattle? Click here to view all events.
This seminar is approved for 16 CE hours for the cost of $40. Payment for CEs does not have to be submitted in advance. If interested in receiving CEs for this training, please visit the Continuing Education Hours table at the workshop. Continuing Education is co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars.
It is not permitted to teach any content, section, or portion of the Bringing Baby Home curriculum online.
Please contact Professional Development at The Gottman Institute by phone at (206) 523-9042 ext. 120 or by email at email@example.com.
Educator training and workshop materials are in English only at this time. We are not available to facilitate translation requests through the leader training events. Upon special request for international training events, we are able to negotiate translation agreements.
Bring a Bringing Baby Home Educator Training to Your Organization:
If you are part of an organization that would like the option of hosting the Bringing Baby Home Educator Training in your area, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Recent articles about BBH from the International Journal of Birth and Parent Education:
- A Psycho-educational Intervention to Increase Relationship Satisfaction During the Transition to Parenthood
- A Reflection on the Experience of Facilitating the Bringing Baby Home Program
In order to successfully become a BBH Educator, an individual must:
- Attend the two-day Bringing Baby Home Gottman Educator Training Program.
- Participate in “teachback” and other learning activities actively throughout the training.
- Sign and return the Educator Agreement.
The Gottman BBH Educator status authorizes an instructor / facilitator to:
- Independently teach and facilitate the 12 hour Bringing Baby Home Couples Workshop.
- Use the BBH Educator title and distinction
Yes, as a BBH Educator, it is not acceptable to:
- Present oneself as an employee, agent or other representative of the Bringing Baby Home Program or The Gottman Institute. Exceptions to this are made for those hired as Master Trainers or Consultants to the BBH Program.
- Present oneself as a Gottman Couples’ Therapist or to market / publicize the BBH workshop as Gottman Couples Therapy. This distinction requires a separate “licensure” program. Information about this opportunity can be obtained at www.gottman.com. (Please Note: if you have already obtained this distinction, then it is encouraged and appropriate to use both sets of letters and distinctions).
- Present oneself as a couples’ therapist or market / publicize the BBH workshop as couples’ therapy. This distinction requires licensure from an accredited school, program or organization.
- Offer independent training or licensure on behalf of the Bringing Baby Home Program. For more information on how to become an approved, recognized BBH Training Specialist, please contact TGI at email@example.com.
- Offer or present BBH training workshops for other professionals (unless said professionals attend as couples experiencing the transition to parenthood).
- Offer or present formal seminars or presentations on Bringing Baby Home to academic audiences. Please Note: It is permissible and encouraged for BBH Educators to give informational seminars or informal talks in the community as a means of marketing or publicizing workshops.
Continuing status is granted to those who maintain a favorable status with The Gottman Institute, as evidenced by:
- Adherence to the Gottman Bringing Baby Home Educator Training Program Agreement
- The maintenance of professional standards of conduct as defined by the Gottman Institute.
The benefits of maintaining credentials are:
- A website posting of one’s name and program.
- Notification/newsletter(s) of Program updates.
- Advanced notice of products and materials and information from The Gottman Institute.
- Website Posting: Once you have completed and passed the requirements for the Educator Training, a BBH Educator’s Name, Name of Organization, city and state of residence will be posted in the Directory of Gottman Educators on the BBH website. This will allow couples to know that they are taking the workshop from an endorsed, reputable instructor. It is requested that BBH Educators keep The Gottman Institute informed of any address or program changes.
- Confirming Status: The TGI staff would be glad to provide documentation or verbal confirmation of any BBH Educator’s status. Please have interested parties contact us via phone 206-523-9042, ext.152 or online.
Yes, we are excited to offer many Bringing Baby Home Educator trainings around the United States and Australia. Please visit our event calendar to see all upcoming trainings.