Shelter-in-place sure can take the sizzle out of your relationship. Whether you’re at home under the same roof (has your partner always eaten cereal that way?) or dating from a distance (“u up? cool just checking”), we urge you not to forget about date night! Making plans to share time together, and being intentional about it, has always mattered but could be relationship-saving in unprecedented times.
Try one (or all) of these date ideas that you can do at home together, or from a distance.
2. Try a deck in the Gottman Card Decks App.
3. Learn a new language together using Duolingo.
4. Dress up for date night.
5. Watch each other’s favorite movie. If you’re apart, try hosting a Netflix Party.
6. Get crafty! Make a scrapbook of all your favorite memories together.
7. Host Happy Hour with craft cocktails or cocktails. If you’re apart, cheers over FaceTime or Zoom.
8. Attend a virtual concert together.
9. Bake or cook a new meal together. If you’re apart, try making the same meal and share your taste test over FaceTime or Zoom.
10. Create line drawings of each other—don’t look at the paper or lift the pen.
11. Dance to your favorite music. If you’re apart, make each other a virtual “mixtape” to listen to.
12. Choose a song and rewrite the lyrics to it. Perform it for each other if you’re feeling brave.
13. Play strip poker.
14. Teach each other about something you love.
15. Write each other love letters.
16. Watch an insightful documentary and learn something new!
17. Read Eight Dates together. Already read Eight Dates? Revisit a date from your favorite chapter.
18. Listen to each other’s favorite album.
19. Have a cook-off “Chopped” style with the same ingredients.
20. Put on a fashion show. Don’t forget the runway music. If you’re apart, play the role of fashion photographer and send each other photos of your stylish looks.
21. Build a fort.
22. Karaoke night—stream karaoke videos on YouTube and sing along.
23. Play Pictionary or charades.
24. Go to the “spa.” Light some candles, put on facials, maybe even give each other a massage.