We are pleased to announce that Master Certified Gottman Therapist and Trainer Carrie Cole, M.Ed. has been named Research Director of The Gottman Institute. Carrie will be conducting and overseeing TGI’s research studies in collaboration with Drs. John and Julie Gottman. In her role as Research Director, Carrie will continue the process of systematically evaluating Gottman Method interventions with randomized clinical trials that meet the highest scientific standards.
TGI’s current research plans include the following:
1. Extend and replicate a highly effective couples’ group treatment for situational domestic violence.
This intervention was studied by the former Relationship Research Institute. The replication study (with a court-referred sample) is currently being conducted in Oregon, in collaboration with TGI, by Dr. Patricia Warford and Dr. Julia Babcock.
2. A randomized clinical trial treating couples recovering from an extra-marital affair.
The study is being conducted by TGI in collaboration with Dr. Paul Peluso. This year we will begin recruiting and training Certified Gottman Therapists who would like to volunteer to participate in that study.
Our future research plans are to:
3. Evaluate a couples treatment for recovery from addiction.
Designed by Master Certified Gottman Therapist and Trainer, Dr. Robert Navarra.
4. Evaluate the effectiveness of the GottSex intervention.
5. Evaluate the effectiveness of various forms of Gottman Method Couples Therapy.
We are very excited to welcome Carrie Cole into this new position. Research updates will be announced and posted at www.gottman.com.More in The Archives