Effectiveness of the Gottman Method
There have been three published outcome studies to date with randomized clinical trials on Gottman Method programs:
- A component analysis of a brief psycho-educational couples’ workshop: one-year follow-up results, Journal of Family Therapy, Babcock, J. C., Gottman, J. M., Ryan, K. D. and Gottman, J. S. (2013). This is a dismantling study of the two-day Art & Science of Love workshop with one year follow up.
- The Baby and the Marriage: Identifying factors that buffer against decline in marital satisfaction after the first baby arrives, Journal of Family Psychology, Shapiro, A.F., Gottman, J.M., and Carrere, S. (2000). Focuses on the study of the Bringing Baby Home two-day workshop; also reported in the Gottmans’ book, And Baby Makes Three.
- Outcomes are also presented in this series of papers treating situational domestic violence with very good results at 18 month follow up with observational, archival, and physiological data:
Several other clinical trials on Gottman Method programs have been completed with overseas populations:
- Emotion Coaching: Sophie Havighurst, Ann Harley and team of Melbourne, Australia completed a number of randomized clinical trials. Please see these papers on Tuning into Kids, Tuning into Teens, Tuning into Toddlers, and Dads Tuning into Kids:
- Emotion Coaching: Dr. Christina Choi of Korea, has written several books and papers on the use of Emotion Coaching with the Korean population (check back soon for more information)
We are also currently conducting 3 randomized clinical trials, a replication and extension of the domestic violence study, a study on treating affairs, and a study treating addiction. See the book (October 2014 publication date) by John Gottman called Principia Amoris for the mathematical basis of Gottman work.
In addition to those listed above, below are other key articles reviewing the effectiveness of the Gottman Method. Also see complete research citations at www.johngottman.net
These articles are provided for informational purposes only and are not authorized for any other use. For permission to reproduce or disseminate, please contact the publishers of each journal directly.